I am super impatient. I want to be good at things now and for them to work right now, and for everything to be done.
For my sewing hobby I am really working on this, but took a massive step backwards today. My second Robe Sureau with the adjusted bodice pieces (note how I am only mentioning those and not the button placket too) is such a story of my impatience.
- Find traced pattern pieces for cambie skirt and robe sureau top.
- Lengthen the bodice pieces.
- Try to make all pieces fit on lovely grey cotton … not going to happen. *stomps feet*
- Keep eyeing up the teal knit jersey fabric
- Decided on the jersey even though I have no idea about using jerseys and decide not to look it up much further than I know ans change needle and look up Banksia Sewalong post on altering pattern for stretch fabrics
- alter pieces and cut fabric
Then as I decided I also want a piping effect I take ages making the placket with piping around it, only to realise a bit later that I did not make it long enough. *stomps feet again* But attaches it anyway. I now have a whole in the middle of the bodice.
- After a lot of staring at the mess I try to attach piping to the neckline – goes wrong of course as I did not baste or anything. * huffing and puffing*
- seam ripper comes out and I remove the piping and just sort of hem it as I did not cut facings as I wanted piping
- Sewing the top together I try it on. It kinda looks nice so I do not give up.
- Skirt construction starts, which goes mostly ok
- Attaching skirt and top. Skirt a lot bigger than waist on top. taking skirt in
- Attached top and skirt – waistline complete mess. Boyfriend likes the overall fit and look though. *lots more huffing and puffing*
- raised waist a bit resulting in weird hole being gone but placket end is unfinished
- need a belt
- Remember Tilly and the buttons belt tutorial!
- Bow from belt could solve the neckline mess in the middle with the placket looking all messy
- get round to making belt, got needle stuck in hand a few times (dont ask) and tadaa it is done
Now this was such a mess to make and sort of still is a mess but I think it is a wearable mess.
What I was hoping to show is that I just think of things and go and do them. I did not think of the lengthening the button placket, comparing measurements of the skirt and the waist of the top.
I do have a notebook, but it is a bit unloved. This dress could have been super awesome, as I feel that even though it is messy it shows what potential it could have had! Better planning next time!
So lessons learnt:
1. Plan, maybe do a drawing, what steps are needed for design, make a list
2. measure (best twice )
3. knits are not that scary and quite forgiving
Edit: I also only now after making the dress read up more details on knit fabrics via Lladybird.